Friday, June 1, 2012

Going Product Free? Fun stuff to do with baking soda and vinegar

I have been on a mission to detoxify the products in my home and although I do love my products (stay tuned for more makeup and fun gift box posts), I thought I'd pay homage to my grandmother and post some things you can do with ordinary household items - baking soda and vinegar.

1. You can wash your hair.  I haven't done this but this article has been floating around facebook.  Check it out.  At one time, I did use apple cider vinegar to rinse my hair and my husband couldn't stand to be within two feet of me due to the sour smell.  Comments here suggest no lingering smell, so it might be worth a try.

2. The one my grandmother taught me... unclog a drain.  Dump some baking soda in the drain and follow it up with white vinegar.  It will clear your drain and make for a fun science experiment.

3. Clean your floors (straight vinegar in a spray bottle and wipe it clean); clean your tub (boil vinegar in the microwave and use a scrubby sponge); clean glass and also soap scum off of shower doors; clean the inside of your fridge.

I also found this recipe online to fight soap scum and mildew:

1 2/3 cups baking soda
1/2 cup liquid soap
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 clean 16-ounce squirt bottle with closing cap

Squirt on solution, scrub clean, then save the leftovers by closing the cap!

4. Clean your oven without harsh chemicals.  Pour baking soda in your oven about 1/4 inch thick.  Spray it with a water bottle to get it damp.  Let it sit over night and wipe it clean the next morning.

5. My new favorite - use baking soda to make your own mouthwash.
    1 cup filtered or distilled water
    2 Tbl baking soda
    2-3 drops tea tree oil
    4-5 drops peppermint oil

6. Use vinegar to get stains out of carpeting.  Dissolve 2 tablespoons salt in 1/2 cup white vinegar, rub into stain, let dry, then vacuum.

I'm sure there are many more.  If anyone is reading this and know of any, please feel free to comment!




No comments:

Post a Comment