Saturday, June 30, 2012

A Cornucopia of Dairy Products and The Dirty Dozen

I'm sure this all what you wanted to read on this fine evening (ha ha).  So far this blog has been documenting my quest to live a toxic free (for the most part) existence and has mostly focused on chemicals in products.  I've mentioned before how there are lax regulations on organics and that goes for food and well as products, so I thought I'd share a couple of my recent finds. My husband actually prompted me to write this post when he texted me this afternoon asking what the "good" milk was. 

So... where you can use the EWG's skindeep website to rate your products, now you can use The Cornucopia Institute's Scorecards to find out how your food rates.  This one in particular is for dairy products... we usually go with a 4 cow rating in our house. We have a 15 month old so this has become a primary focus for us.  Before he came along, I couldn't imagine having milk in the house.  But only because I think it's gross. 

The other find that I highly recommend is another EWG creation.  They now have an app for The Dirty Dozen and The Clean Fifteen, a handy guide to produce with the highest and lowest amounts of pesticides.  It definitely comes in handy if you need to save a few bucks or your local food source doesn't have what you are looking for in the organic variety.  And of course they have the list online.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment